2015年10月19日 星期一

請教William Scherkenbach先生美國工會對品質運動的阻力 (Peter Drucker說法)


Dear Bill,

I am preparing to write a book on Deming and Drucker, extending my October 14 talks on their careers in NYU.
Drucker Archive is a very interesting data base.
I like your input on Drucker opinion that even his close friend Dr. Deming did not know the Union is the main barrier to promote QM and Industrial Community.

http://ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/dac/id/3662/rec/10

Correspondence from Peter Drucker to James Hoopes, Boston College, 2000-11-28
  • Letters; Drucker, Peter F. (Peter Ferdinand), 1909-2005; Hoopes, James, 1944-; Authorship; Corporations; Labor unions; Deming, W. Edwards (William Edwards), 1900-1993; Juran, J. M. (Joseph M.), 1904-; Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David),...
  • Peter Drucker writes James Hoopes, professor at Babson College, saying that he has attached a list of his publications. He says that the tardy acceptance of ideas such as quality management or empowerment in the United States was primarily because...



Best Regards,

Hanching Chung (or HC/ hc)

-------
2015.10.20

William Scherkenbach

2:51 AM (4 hours ago)
to me
I have learned that different people have different perspectives, even on the same observation.  Dr. Deming observed that “If the two of us always agreed, then one of us is redundant.”  My perspective on the union influence pertains only to what I observed in the auto industry and the UAW in particular.  Ford was lucky to have Don Ephlin as head of the UAW Ford Department.  The timing was right because the American public was giving the Unions and the American Auto companies a hard time.  Japanese quality was perceived to be “better” than American quality.  Ephlin spoke to Ford management and said (approximately) I cannot go to my people and sell productivity because that means layoffs.  I can go and tell them to improve quality, and everyone knows that if you improve quality, you improve productivity, but you cannot be laying my people off.

If it wasn’t for Ephlin, the efforts at Ford and then GM would not have gotten off the ground.  

I think there was a competition between Unions.  They were not of one voice.  Drucker saw a side that Deming did not.  And Deming saw a side that Drucker did not.  It is very dangerous to generalize.

Bill


沒有留言:

張貼留言